Tomatoes: the healer of all sickness.
According to information available on the internet tomatoes can heal the following diseases; prostate cancer, inflammation (common cause of most illnesses), high blood pressure, neurological diseases, allergies and most infections.
The reason tomatoes are such a super fruit is rather simple; it is a good source of several vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamin C: this vitamin is an essential nutrient and antioxidant.
- Potassium: An essential mineral, potassium is beneficial for blood pressure control and heart disease prevention
- Vitamin K1: Also known as phyllo Quinone, vitamin K is important for blood clotting and bone health
- Folate (vitamin B9): One of the B vitamins, folate is important for normal tissue growth and cell function. It’s particularly important for pregnant women
The big question now is; do the tomatoes grown commercially today still have these qualities? Tomatoes are often harvested while still green and immature, and then ripened artificially with ethylene gas. This may lead to the fruits being harvested before all of the important vitamins and minerals were absorbed through a healthy plant into the fruit resulting in less flavour, light coloured and bland tomatoes.
The reason why our tomatoes are so delicious？
- we use well drained areas to plant our plants
- Fertilizer used by our Agri department is ‘homemade’ and make for more tasty tomatoes as various elements such as lactic acid and bacteria are not lost.
- Because our tomatoes are ripe at harvest and used within a few hours after picking, we maximise the original sweetness possessed by the tomatoes to the fullest.
At Saragossa we make use of these magical tomatoes to create mouth-watering delights for our guests: rich tomato and basil soup, capris salad, tomato tartlets and sundried tomatoes used in freshly baked bread …
Magical Tomatoes by Anna Venter